This site is a developmental version of Wiki Law School. To go to the production site: www.wikilawschool.net
|Headquarters||Los Angeles (CA)|
|Number of Offices||45|
|Number of attorneys||2,000|
|Practice Areas||General practice|
|Key People||James Segerdahl (global managing partner), Michael Caccese (chairman, management committee) (?)|
|K&L Gates Pay Scale|
|(all numbers in thousands of dollars)|
K&L Gates LLP is a US-based international law firm with offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, South America, and the United States. Measured by headcount, it is the 8th largest law firm in the United States  and the 11th largest among law firms worldwide. The firm delivers legal services at both an individual office level and through nine broad firmwide practice areas: Corporate and Transactional; Energy, Infrastructure and Resources; Finance; Financial Services; Intellectual Property; Labor, Employment and Workplace Safety; Litigation and Dispute Resolution; Real Estate; and Regulatory and Policy, each of which also include a number of subject matter and industry-based practice groups.
Template:As of, the leaders of K&L Gates are James Segerdahl (global managing partner) and Michael Caccese (chairman, management committee). They replaced longtime chairman and global managing partner Peter Kalis, who had held that position since 1997.
- 1858: London-based Nicholson Graham & Jones Ltd is founded
- 1883: Preston Gates & Ellis is founded in Seattle, emerging out of the private law offices of Harold Preston.
- 1946: Pittsburgh-based Kirkpatrick & Lockhart is founded
- 2005: Kirkpatrick & Lockhart and Nicholson Graham merge to become Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham
- 2007: On January 1, K&L Gates is formed in a merger between Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham and Preston Gates & Ellis to form Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Preston Gates Ellis. The name was later shortened to K&L Gates.
- 2008: In January, K&L Gates combined with Hughes & Luce, a Dallas-based firm of 150 attorneys with offices in Austin, Dallas, and Fort Worth
- 2008: In July K&L Gates combined with Kennedy Covington Lobdell & Hickman LLP, a North Carolina-based firm of 200 attorneys with offices in Charlotte, Raleigh, and Research Triangle Park.
- March 1, 2009: K&L Gates merged with Bell, Boyd & Lloyd, a Chicago-based firm with approximately 215 attorneys with offices in Chicago, San Diego and Washington, D.C.
- 2013: K&L Gates combined with Australian national firm Middletons with offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, and Brisbane
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, K&L Gates was one of the top law firms contributing to federal candidates during the 2012 election cycle, donating $1.29 million, 52% to Democrats. By comparison, during that same period Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld donated $2.56 million, 66% to Democrats, while oil conglomerate ExxonMobil donated $2.66 million, 88% to Republicans. Since 1990, K&L Gates contributed $10.26 million to federal campaigns, and spent $1.25 million on lobbying since 1999.
Notable lawyers and alumni
- Dick Thornburgh, former Attorney General of the United States and two-term Governor of Pennsylvania
- Bart Gordon, former twelve-term U.S. Congressman
- Slade Gorton, former two-term U.S. senator
- Charles J. Queenan, Jr., chairman emeritus of firm; served as firm chairman from 1975 to 1990 (2014 recipient of Lifetime Achievement Award from The American Lawyer).
- Peter J. Kalis, former chairman and global managing partner. In 2013, Kalis was named both one of the top legal innovators of the past 50 years by The American Lawyer magazine  and among the legal industry’s most innovative and groundbreaking thinkers on The National Law Journal’s inaugural list of “Top 50 Legal Business Trailblazers & Pioneers”
- William H. Gates, Sr, attorney and philanthropist. One of the founders of Preston Gates & Ellis (which merged to become K&L Gates). He is the father of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates
- Bill Neukom, former American Bar Association president and managing partner of the San Francisco Giants 
- Michael S. Greco, former American Bar Association president
- Michael C. Ormsby, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Washington
- Jack Abramoff, former lobbyist, writer
- Eric Schneiderman, the current New York Attorney General
- Rick Santorum, former two-term U.S. Representative, former two-term U.S. Senator and 2012 Republican presidential candidate
- The NLJ 250:Our Annual Survey, The National Law Journal
- The 2011 Global 100: Most Lawyers, The American Lawyer
- "As K&L grows, it takes two to fill Kalis' shoes," Pittsburgh Business Times, Sept. 23, 2016, http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2016/09/23/as-k-l-grows-it-takes-two-to-fill-kalis-shoes.html
- "Kalis elected to fifth terms as head of K&L Gates," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Sept. 25, 2012, http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/business/news/kalis-elected-to-fifth-terms-as-head-of-kl-gates-654825/
- Riggio, Jim Former Congressman, Judge James Rogan Joins Orange County Firm, Metropolitan News Enterprise (3 November 2005)
- James, Andrea Preston Gates & Ellis OKs merger, Seattle Pi (14 December 2006)
- Press release from K&L Gates
- Lawyers & Lobbyists: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups,
- Energy/Natural Resources: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups,
- Organizations: K&L Gates,
- Thornburgh Shares Lessons From Three Mile Island Crisis
- K&L Gates - People - Dick Thornburgh
- Testimony of Dick Thornburgh, Former Attorney General of the United States, Counsel, K&L Gates LLP
- Congress is on a health-reform path that will raise premiums
- K&L Gates - People - K&L Gates
- ABA Journal ABA President to Replace Magowan as Managing Partner of San Francisco Giants
- K&L Gates - People - Michael S. Greco
- Nelson, Robert T. Democratic Firm Learns To Do Business With New Congress, (January 27, 1995)
- How scheming lobbyist operated in Seattle firm, (2006-02-07)
- Eric Schneiderman
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Rick Santorum
- 9 Things You Need to Know About Rick Santorum