This site is a developmental version of Wiki Law School. To go to the production site: www.wikilawschool.net
University of North Dakota School of Law
|University of North Dakota School of Law|
|Dean||Paul A. LeBel|
|Location||Grand Forks, ND, US|
|Faculty||13 (See List)|
|Outlines||0 (See List)|
The University of North Dakota School of Law is located in Grand Forks, North Dakota at the University of North Dakota (UND). Established in 1899, the law school is home to approximately 200 students and has more than 3,000 alumni. It has one of the smallest student populations among the American Bar Association accredited law schools.Template:Fact
The institution offers the J.D. degree and a joint degree program in law and public administration (J.D./M.P.A.). The school is also home to the Northern Plains Indian Law Center. In addition, UND Law students can participate in the school's summer Norway Exchange Program (at the University of Oslo, Norway).
In 2005, the median GPA for incoming UND Law students was 3.50, while the median LSAT score was 150. The School of Law received 430 applications for its J.D. program, of which 194 were accepted and 90 were enrolled. In recent years, the school has increased its student diversity through partial tuition waivers for members of minority groups. In addition, the school attracts a number of international students from Canada, Norway and other countries.
In its 2007 ranking of American law schools, U.S. News and World Report ranked UND Law as a tier three school. However, recent facility upgrades and enhanced fundraising efforts may attract a wider range of law school candidates in the future. Overall, UND Law is a strong regional school and a necessary legal fixture in the state of North Dakota.
Thormodsgard Law Library
The three-story Thormodsgard Law Library adjacent to the School of Law building at UND is named in honor of Olaf H. Thormodsgard, who was Dean of the University of North Dakota School of Law from 1933 to 1962.
The library underwent a renovation in 2003 that added mobile compact shelving. The upgrade increased the shelf-space for the library's growing collection of legal materials (which includes a core collection of 312,000 volumes). WestLaw and LexisNexis are a part of the library's electronic collection.
- Rep. Earl Pomeroy - (J.D. 1979), U.S. Congressman (D-ND) (1993-Present)
- Olger Burton Burtness - (LL.B 1907), U.S. Congressman (R-ND) (1921-1933), North Dakota District Judge (1950-1960)
- Hon. Kermit Bye - Distinguished Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Cir
- Hon. Ralph R. Erickson - North Dakota District Judge and United States District Court Judge (2003-present)
- Hon. Daniel Hovland - United States District Court Judge, Chief Judge of the District of North Dakota
- Hon. Rodney Webb - United States Attorney for the District of North Dakota and United States District Court Judge